Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Banana muffins

 Muffins are  one of my comfort foods.
One of my favorite memories growing up was waking up to the smell of freshly baked muffins.
I would sit there doing my school eating a hot muffin loaded with butter.
Real butter by the way...not margarine...

Now that I have kids I want to make muffins for breakfast but have had a hard time finding a tasty yet healthy muffin. 
If there isn't a cup of oil there is cups of sugar. 
If its made with all whole wheat flour they are so stiff that the babies won't eat them.
UNTIL
I found this recipe on this Website
AMAZING!!!!
The kids ate them all morning long and then wanted them for lunch.

*notes on the recipe
-I forgot to put the oil in but I didn't even notice it missing. 
-Instead of the extra half cup of white flour I did 1/4 cup wheat germ and 1/4 cup ground flax
-I used almost 3 bananas so maybe that is why I didn't need the oil
-The apple helps sweeten the bread but its subtle enough that the banana really shines thru.

Aaron even enjoyed these muffins and he hates healthy muffins.
I would encourage you to try them and let me know if they were a hit in your house!

Another sidenote.. If you followed the link to the website you will find MANY other kid friendly, yet easy and healthy recipes.  
Even if you don't have kids there are many easy recipes that adults would like.
I LOVE tater tot casserole but it is not very healthy as it is loaded with sodium. 
The shepherd's pie is a huge hit in our house and a good substitute for tater tot casserole.
So is the potpie and crock pot oatmeal.
I  made the other banana bread recipe and it was a huge hit as well. 
Very similar to this recipe but you use a whole cup of wheat germ and barely taste it.
Happy baking/cooking everyone!

Apple Banana Muffins (Makes 24-28 Mini Muffins)
1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Cinnamon
3 Tbsp Vegetable or Canola Oil
1/2 Cup Agave OR Honey
1 Egg
1/2 Cup Milk
2 Bananas, mashed
1 Medium Apple, peeled and grated (Gala, Pink Lady, Fuji or Golden Delicious are good choices)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients together.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
5. Grease a muffin tin or line it with muffin cups and fill each cup 3/4 full with the batter.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Serve.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I no longer make muffins because I don't cook the same way I used to. Thanks for the recipe. I can hardly wait to try it. Beka needs to know what it is like to wake up to the smell of fresh muffins.

Lindsey,Alyssa and Carly said...

Yes- thanks (fun to read your blog again, been awhile) for the recipe!

I will try them and let you know how they go over!

Did you see my granola bar recipe? Just made another 2 pans this week. 1 pan- with choc.chips and peanut butter chips (so good)

Other pan- dried apples, extra cinnamon and pumpkin spices and some chopped pecans.

Congrats on the new babe on the way!! ( I can't live without my coffee in the am too EXCEPT when I'm pregnant. I can not drink it the entire pregnancy- same thing. I have also started drinking alittle tea, mostly in the evenings. Try alittle honey in it- and I like peppermint tea.)